February 3, 2021
Riveted the armrests in, and started riveting the aft canopy deck.
Did some more riveting on the top fuselage skins.
Trimmed and fit the F-6111 L&R skin stiffeners.
Drilled the forward decks to the longerons and aft canopy decks. I cut the extra material off of the fuel tank selector box (where the manual trim knob would go).
Made a little spacer to fill the gap that is left after cutting the extra material from the fuel selector plate. Started getting all of the parts of the cabin ready to prime. Shannon gave me a hand and we nearly finished getting the top skins on the fuselage.
Finished all the riveting on the top skins. Finished all the side skin to longeron rivets that I could. The ones where the top forward skin goes are still open. I started masking off all the places in the cabin were I don't want paint to go.
There were a few parts left that need to be riveted onto the fuselage that needed to be primed so I primed those. Then I finished masking off the rest of the cabin.
Riveted the caps on the side of the center section and riveted on the the forward and aft canopy decks. The center section covers turn out to be a mistake. I'll have to drill them out tomorrow because the roll bar bolts have to go in there.
Un-riveted the center section covers from inside the cabin. Finished masking the cabin off and scuffed all the places where paint is to land. All I need to do now is clean it real good and paint it.
Painted the inside of the cabin with some gray epoxy primer. The plan was to stay with the gray primer since it is pretty tough but I may put some paint on it.
Painted the seat backs and baggage bulkhead covers. I also touched up a few places that I didn't get quite right yesterday. Hopefully the painting is over for a while.
Cleaned and painted the roll bar black. I don't like the way the white powder coat looks on the slider canopies so I painted mine with a black satin enamel.
Mixed up some more primer and touched up some areas of the cabin that showed up after I opened the garage door and let the sun hit it.
Didn't feel much like working on the airplane but I did manage to get the bend in the top of the firewall.
Fabricated four little funny looking strips of aluminum to back up the rivets on the NACA ducts.
Finished installing the NACA ducts on the side of the fuselage. Started fabricating all the little parts for the forward top structure of the fuselage.
Vern came over and helped me with my painting technique. Now the inside of the cabin looks much better. He also helped me figure out how to fill the gaps in the emp fairing.
Still working on the top forward fuselage structure. I messed up a couple of parts so I have to send off for some more material. This is going slower than I thought that it would.
Worked on the emp fairing a little more.
Smeared some SuperFil on the emp fairing to fill the gaps.
Worked on the forward fuselage structure some more. I drilled the holes for the center rib to firewall rivets and tweaked all the flanges to get them to line up a little better
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.