Cabin Log 

 Project News
 February 3, 2021

 Project Log

  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Fuel Tanks

 Fuselage Kit
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage


 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System

  Finishing Up!

 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Other Stuff


September 4, 2002 - 1.5 hours
Drilled the baggage compartment bulkhead covers, and made the little plastic wear guards for the shoulder strap anchor cables.

September 11, 2002 - 1.9 hours
Finished riveting the nutplates to the baggage compartment bulkhead. Removed the top skins to get ready for dimpling. Started installing the nutplates to the removable baggage compartment sidewall.

September 15, 2002 - 5 hours
Installed the forward baggage compartment side covers. I put in a bracket for the front end of my fuselage wire run conduit similar. It comes out right behind the forward edge of the non-removable seat skins. Installed the hinges to the bottom seat skins and riveted the seat skins to the fuse.

The hinge halfs are riveted on to the seat bottom for adjustment purposes. The other half of the hinge is on the seat back. This allows for three different positions of the bottom of the seat back.

It's slowly starting to look like the inside of an airplane.

September 16, 2002 - 2 hours
Installed the forward seat panels and fabricated the tunnel cover that goes between the seats.

This is the cover that installs over the tunnel where the elevator pushrod goes through the fuselage.

September 18, 2002 - 1.5 hours
Started building the seat backs. It's taking longer than it should because I need a bandsaw blade.

September 19, 2002 - 2 hours
Still building seat backs.

September 21, 2002 - 6 hours
Finished fabricating and fitting all of the seat back parts and started deburring, dimpling and preparing all of those parts for priming.

The parts are starting to look like a couple of seats

This part of how the seat back is adjusted. There are two notches built into the top of the bulkhead for the brace to fit into.

September 30, 2002 - 1.2 hours
Started fitting and drilling all the forward cabin covers.

October 1, 2002 - 1.3 hours
Finished drilling and fitting all the forward cabin covers.

October 7, 2002 - 2 hours
Finished riveting the other seat back and riveted on most of the fuselage / bulkhead gussets.

Finished seat backs installed

The finished tunnel cover

One of the fuselage / bulkhead gussets

October 20, 2002 - 5 hours
Installed the flap acutator weldment into the fuse, fabricated all the little angles, brackets and spacers for the flap system and started putting the flap system together

This is the flap acutator weldment installed.

October 21, 2002 - 1.8 hours
Installed some braces to hold the wire conduit that I installed into the fuselage a little better. Piddled with the flap mechanism a little bit.

I installed a little clamp that I made out of some scrap J-channel half way between each fuselage bulkhead to hold the wire conduit.

October 30, 2002 - 1.6 hours
Almost finished the flap acutator mechanism and made the two little flap actuator pushrods.

Flap motor assembly detail

November 15, 2002 - 2 hours
Installed the flap actuator mechanism into the fuselage. Installed the static ports and tubing in the rear fuselage.

Flap motor assembly mounted to the fuselage

This is the outside of the Van's static port kit. This is the head of a pretty big blind rivet.

After driving the madrel out of the blind rivet I put the tubing over the back of the rivet.

This Tee ties each side of the static system together with the tubing that runs to the panel.

Finished static system. There is a problem with this... See here

November 17, 2002 - 2 hours
Installed all those bolts in the holes that are left in the spar for main gear mounts on the nose draggers. On the real airplane you just fill the holes with bolts. Also put the little clamps on the little pieces of tubing that hold the rudder cable on the back of the plane. Cleaned the shop up some.

December 2, 2002 - 0.75 hours
Reassembled the flap mechanism with the safety wire that keeps the rod end bearing from twisting.

December 5, 2002 - 0.5 hours
Cut the elevator push rod tubes to length, cleaned and etched them in preparation for priming the inside.

December 6, 2002 - 0.75 hours
Primed the inside of the elevator push rod tubes.

December 7, 2002 - 1 hours
Drilled both of the elevator push tubes to the end pieces and riveted the end pieces to the big tube. I screwed up the little one by only drilling 4 holes in each end instead of 6. I'll call Van's on Monday and see what they say. I most likely will build another one. This is the elevator after all and it's a cheap mistake.

December 14, 2002 - 1 hours
Started making another F-789 elevator push tube. I messed the other one up.

December 15, 2002 - 2 hours
Finished building the F-789 elevator push tube. Primed all the aluminum push tubes. Drilled the hole in the elevator bellcrank for future installation of a pitch servo on the autopilot.

December 28, 2002 - 5 hours
Installed the control sticks and the electric aileron trim.

The electric aileron trim uses two springs and a MAC trim servo for biasing the ailerons.

March 25, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Worked on finishing up all the little details inside the cabin that I seem to have left undone.

April 9, 2003 - 1.6 hours
Riveted the caps on the side of the center section and riveted on the the forward and aft canopy decks. The center section covers turn out to be a mistake. I'll have to drill them out tomorrow because the roll bar bolts have to go in there.

April 10, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Un-riveted the center section covers from inside the cabin. Finished masking the cabin off and scuffed all the places where paint is to land. All I need to do now is clean it real good and paint it.

April 13, 2003 - 3 hours
Painted the inside of the cabin with some gray epoxy primer. The plan was to stay with the gray primer since it is pretty tough but I may put some paint on it.

Cabin area masked and ready to spray.

Here is what the cabin area looks like after I put the gray epoxy primer on.

April 14, 2003 - 2.4 hours
Painted the seat backs and baggage bulkhead covers. I also touched up a few places that I didn't get quite right yesterday. Hopefully the painting is over for a while.

April 16, 2003 - 0.75 hours
Mixed up some more primer and touched up some areas of the cabin that showed up after I opened the garage door and let the sun hit it.

May 13, 2003 - 2 hours
Installed the brake fluid reservoir. Built and installed a doubler plate for the parking brake valve. Installed all the fittings into the brake master cylinders.

This is the brake fluid reservoir.

This is where the brake fluid reservoir comes through the firewall. I used a little Pro-seal to help keep the fumes out.

I used one wrap of 1/4" Teflon tape on the 1/4" NPT threads for the brake line fittings.

Tubing fittings installed on the parking brake valve.

Parking brake valve mounted to the doulber plate and firewall.

This is what the firewall side of the parking brake mount looks like.

May 14, 2003 - 1.6 hours
Tubed up the parking brake valve to the firewall bulkhead fittings. Re-installed the rudder pedals (hopefully for the last time). Fabricated the little plates that attach the rudder pedals to the rudder cables, and started tubing up the brakes.

I used 1/4" aluminum tubing to tie the parking brake valve to the firewall bulkhead fittings. Note: Don't mount the valve like this. I found out later that it interferes with the rudder pedal travel.

May 17, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Moved the parking brake valve to the new location, and tubed it up.

The old position of the parking brake valve interfered with the brake pedals. This is how I wound up mounting it.

Another view of the parking brake valve.

May 18, 2003 - 2 hours
Retubed the parking brake valve. I didn't like the way the flares came out the first time and was afraid it wouldn't seal. It's much easier to fix it now than to crawl under the panel later so I decided to play it safe. I also went ahead and tightened up on all the plastic/brass fittings on the brake system.

These are the little spacers that go under the aft deck to hold the roll bar. They are needed because the bolt goes in very close to the longeron and these spacers give the bolts a nice flat spot to grip.

June 21, 2003 - 1.5 hours
I installed the last of the nutplates that attach the panel to the structure. I started working on the cabin vents and I replaced one of the bolts on the autopilot servo with a longer one.

These are the brackets that the panel screws into to hold it to the forward deck.

The panel screws to the upper two brackets and the one with the curve is where the air vent attaches.

June 22, 2003 - 4 hours
Today I was trying to get as many little things done that I could so I can get a bunch of stuff out of the way for the canopy. I finished the cabin air vents, replaced the other bolt,and put in those big washers next to the rod-end bearings for the autopilot servo and I ran the static line through the cabin and up behind the panel. I also took off the rudder and the elevators, getting ready to remove the HS and the VS so I can make some more room in the shop.

Test fit of the cabin air vent. Notice that you can see the white plastic inside the vent.

I didn't like the fact that I could see the white plastic inside the air vent so I painted them black.

This is where the air duct attaches to the NACA vent

This is where the air duct attaches to the eyeball vent inside th cabin. I have not attached them permanetly yet because I still have some rivets that have to go back there for the last fuselage skin.

This is where the static line transitions through the baggage compartment. I ran the line under the longeron all the way to the panel.

The static line comes along the aft canopy deck and through the panel substructure.

February 22, 2004 - 2.6 hours
I never finished up the covers that go over all the AFP fuel system stuff in the floor. I really got it all messed up with the fuel flow transducer, so today I spent some time putting it back together so that I can get it finished. I started making a fiberglass cover for the fuel line and fuel flow transducer. I decided that I could make it look better with fiberglass than I could with aluminum.

I made a real mess of the floor cover when I installed the FlowScan fuel flow transducer for my EIS 4000

I decided to make a mold out of a piece of PVC Bondoed to a piece of wood.

I used wax paper as a mold release. This works well as long as there are no compound curves.

Put some Peel Ply over the layups to make sure that it will be nice and smooth when cured. (Append: This thing wound up being too small so I am going to have to make another one but I don't have the right size pipe. It turned out really good otherwise)

February 24, 2004 - 1 hours
Fiddled with the fuel flow transducer cover that I made and it turns out that it is too small. Back to the drawing board.

March 12, 2004 - 0.6 hours
Bondo'd the new piece of PVC pipe to a board for the new improved (read larger) cover for the fuel flow transducer.

March 13, 2004 - 0.4 hours
Layed a couple of layers of fiberglass on the mold for the cover.

March 15, 2004 - 1.5 hours
Pulled the new piece out of the mold for the fuel flow transducer cover, and fit it between the firewall and the AFP pump cover.

March 27, 2004 - 3 hours
I finished the second cover for the fuel lines. It fits pretty good. I also made a template for the armrests. I want padded armrests so I am going to cut some model airplane plywood to fit the armrests so the upholster has something to staple / glue the fabric too.

Transducer cover number two. This one fits much better. I thought about making it bulge on the front to cover the small opening that I made for the fuel line, but when the thing is installed it is not nearly as noticeable as it is here.

April 4, 2004 - 0.75 hours
Cut out the wood for the arm rests. I couldn't find the thickness that I wanted so I cut two pieces of 1/16" model airplane plywood and then sandwiched a piece of fiberglass between them with epoxy resin.

April 5, 2004 - 1.5 hours
Finished the armrest upholstry backing. I drilled three holes through each of them to the armrests. Then I riveted nutplates to them so that I can attach them after the foam and upholstry are on.

I made the armrest backing out of some model plywood and fiberglass. The three black spots are the nutplates.

April 6, 2004 - 0.2 hours
Shannon took the arm rest backs to the upholstry shop and they were through with the seats. So I reinstalled the seat backs and tried out the new seat cushions.

Yes I made airplane noises.

June 14, 2004 - 1.5 hours
Removed the canopy rails, the seats, seat backs, air vents, fuel vents, the sticks and all kinds of really small pieces of aluminum from the cabin in anticipation of putting a coat of paint in there. The wife and I decided that the primer grey color just wouldn't do.

June 26, 2004 - 2.5 hours
Started sanding all the covers and stuff that I removed from the cabin in anticipation of another coat of primer. The grey epoxy primer that I had in there will cure and not accept a topcoat after a few days so I have to sand it and put another coat of primer on then the paint.

June 27, 2004 - 4.5 hours
Finished sanding and cleaning all of the interior parts. I also managed to get the primer and paint on them all. This is the first that I have seen of the colors that Shannon picked out and I must say I really like them.

June 28, 2004 - 1 hours
Started sanding the inside of the cabin to get it ready for paint.

June 29, 2004 - 1.5 hours
Finished sanding the cabin.

July 1, 2004 - 1 hours
Vacuumed out the cabin and started masking stuff off.

July 3, 2004 - 6.3 hours
Finished masking off the airplane and covering up all the things in the shop that I did not want to get painted. I cleaned everything and sprayed the primer and paint on the cabin. It turned out pretty good. I wouldn't be too happy with that kind of finish on the outside of the plane but for the cabin it will be okay.

The airplane goes in the plastic wrap again.

It sure seems like I have done this before.

It's hard to tell the exact color but you can see that it looks much better than the battleship gray primer.

February 20, 2005 - 5.5 hours
Installed the little slider brace mount for my SIRS compass. Then I spent the rest of the day fitting and cutting out pieces of neoprene for the firewall. It's supposed to be a pretty good heat/noise barrier.

February 21, 2005 - 1.75 hours
Finished gluing the neoprene to the firewall. It turned out okay. I couldn't get to every little spot, but it should make a pretty big dent in the noise.

March 9, 2005 - 1 hours
I kinda messed up on the wiring that runs down the center of the firewall and back across the floor. The radius of the bundle was too tight so I had to do a little more fiberglass work on my little cover to get it looking decent. We'll see how it turns out.

I had to modify my little fuel flow transducer cover that I made because the radius of the wire bundle was too tight and it conflicted with this thing. I guess I'll have to paint it again.

March 12, 2005 - 2.5 hours
I cut out the upholstry for the top of the glare sheild, sanded the area where I was going to spray glue. I had to mask off a bunch of the plane to put this down. Ironically I had decided to put down cloth to keep from having to mask everything off. I glued the cloth down and I think it will look fine.

I used the windsheild to make a template for the glare sheild upholstry.

I think the upholstry turned out really nice. This is just some tweed cloth from a bodyshop

March 13, 2005 - 3.5 hours
I used a soldering iron to cotterize the edges of the upholstry on top of the glare sheild. I also used the soldering iron to poke the holes up through the skin where the GPS antennas will mount, and mounted the GPS antennas. I put the windscreen on and screwed it down along the roll bar and permanently installed the little clips that hold the front and sides down.

The big GPS antenna is the GPS-35 self contained GPS unit that feeds the autopilot and the smaller one is the remote antenna for my GPS-296

June 11, 2005 - 1 hours
Riveted the fire extinguisher bracket down to the floor right behind the passenger seat. It'll be hard to get to but I think I'll be able to push the seat forward and reach it.

I riveted the fire extinquisher bracket down behind the passenger seat.

June 25, 2005 - 1.5 hours
I've been meaning to put a spring on the parking brake valve since I installed it. I finally figured out how to do it. I wanted to drill a hole in the arm of the valve but I couldn't get the drill in there without removing the valve or the rudder pedals. So I took a piece of stainless and made sortof an elongated washer with an extra hole and put it behind the control cable end nut, then put the spring through the little hole.

You can almost see how I put the spring on the parking brake valve. I could barely get in there to take a picture. Imagine how hard it was to work back there. If you are going to do this, do it before you put all this stuff in the way.

This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 February 3, 2021