Project Log 

 Project News
 February 3, 2021

 Project Log

  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Fuel Tanks

 Fuselage Kit
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage


 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System

  Finishing Up!

 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Other Stuff

September 14, 2005 - 1.6 hours
Finished installing all the covers. I put on the flap mechansim covers and the baggage bulkhead.

September 13, 2005 - 1.5 hours
I took the fuel filter out and took it apart to see how dirty it was. There were a few tiny little flakes of what appeared to be pro-seal. Other than that it was clean. I also managed to get the covers over the fuel pump assembly and the seat covers installed.

September 5, 2005 - 2 hours
Today N727WB became a real airplane. It passed inspection by the DAR! It's a huge relief to have that done. (The hours for the inspection are not included in the log.) I used up the battery in my electric screwdriver installing access covers and fairings. I got all the exterior panels and fairings installed.

September 4, 2005 - 3 hours
Today I finished up countersinking and dimpling all the access ccovers and fairings that I just hadn't gotten done until today. I also crawled up under the panel and secured all those panels that cover up the wiring and fuel lines. While I was down there I tightened up the fittings on the pitot system. Afterwards I retested the pitot system for leaks and it seems to be sealing fine now. I guess my leak was one of those fittings behind the panel.

September 3, 2005 - 5.5 hours
I put a shop vac in the inlet filter box to pressurize the induction system and then checked for leaks with some soap and water. I couldn't find any. Then Vern came by and helped me get the idle mixture set and we also checked the timing. To check the Lightspeed electronic ignition a normal automotive timing light is used. The timing was WAAYY off. Apparently the people at the build shop can't read the manual. I reset it according to the book and now the engine seems to be running much better.

September 1, 2005 - 1.5 hours
I took the fuel injectors out and checked to make sure that they were all flowing the same amount. I put each one into a different Dixie cup and ran the boost pump with the throttle at full and then at idle and checked how much fuel came out of each one. I also cleaned each of the spark plugs.

August 27, 2005 - 3 hours
I put the fuel back in the plane and took all the bottom spark plugs out and cleaned them. I had cleaned #4 but decided to clean them all before I ran the engine again. Jeff came over with his compression gauge and we checked the compressions after I ran the engine a little bit. It is still not running quite right. It stumbles a little bit. I also mangaged to get the new firmware and airspeed limitations uploaded to the Dynon.

August 21, 2005 - 5 hours
Installed the Rocket Steering link on my tailwheel. I did this to try and solve the interference issue that I was having with the chains. It works. Once I got the tailwheel sorted out I decided to taxi it around a little bit so today was the first day it moved under it's own power. I did a run up and found a really fouled plug on the number 4 cylinder. If I ever doubted my decision to buy an istrument that shows EGT's on all four cylinders I won't doubt anymore. I knew which cylinder it was in a few seconds. Once that was over, Daryl Helped me get the fuel drained out and then we weighed it. 1068lbs!! Whooop!! Nice and light. Now I really have to buckle down and get that paperwork done and get an inspection scheduled.

August 19, 2005 - 1 hours
Shannon helped me replace the bulkhead fitting where the fuel goes through the firewall. It seems that is cause of my fuel leak. So far it seems to be holding. I also remade the tubing that goes from the FloScan turbine meter to this bulkhead. Just in case.

August 17, 2005 - 1.5 hours
I put a coat of paint on the little tailwheel control arm that came with my new Rocket Steering Link. I think this thing will fix the rudder bottom interference issue that I have. I also had to cut 1-1/2" off of the co-pilot stick. I had never realized that it would get tangled up in the mixture control when the mixture was all the way back. Not that I'll ever be able to fly like that but it still needs to be clear. You may be asking how I can get the stick tangled up with the mixture control. My throttle/prop/mixture/purge controls are located about 6-8" to starboard because I thought that was more comfortable for me. It is but I didn't realize that it would interfere with the 'other' stick. No big deal.

August 16, 2005 - 1 hours
I built a stand to prop the tail of the airplane up. This get's it into flying attitude for weighing and oil changes and stuff.

I think that'll hold it.

This is a really terrible picture of a really beautiful sunset over the hangars at West Houston. Sufice it to say that it really made me want to go flying.

August 13, 2005 - 5 hours
Today was a details kinda day. I sealed the baffles with RTV and sealed the firewall penetrations. I re-safetied the dipstick tube because it was a little loose. I bled the brakes and loosened a couple of the brake pedals that were sticking. I put the screws in the wingtips. I took that hose off that we made to fix the fuel leak last Sunday and put firesleeve on it. When I put it back on the fuel leak was back. I'm gonna replace that bulkhead fitting, and I may redo the fuel line inside.

I moved the plane out into the sun to cut this little bolt off that was sticking up out of the concrete. I couldn't help but take a picture of it.

August 11, 2005 - 1 hours
Finished putting the tail number on and installed the dataplate. I lowered the exhaust a little bit.

I am using cheap stick on letters from the aviation department at Home Depot for now. I promise they'll look better after I get some paint on the airplane. These are just temporary.

Bill Esther did a fantastick job engraving my dataplate. It looks great!

Here is the dataplate riveted to the airplane. Those may be the last four rivets.

August 9, 2005 - 1 hours
I decided to try and make sure that the spinner was lined up okay. I checked the front bulkhead and it did have a lot of wobble in it but I was sure that the spinner was true. I put the spinner on and tried to check it but every time I moved the prop the whole airplane would shake around and it was impossible to tell. So since the airport bums were there I rolled it out again and started it up with the spinner on. They both said that it ran true. I had also turned the idle adjustment a half a turn and it seemed bring the idle speed down to about 850 RPM. It had been at 1050 and I'm chasing 750. It ran pretty rough on the mag this time. Worse than it did on Sunday but it has been idling so I probably just need to run it up and burn the plugs off.

August 7, 2005 - 6 hours
Jon and Marshall came by in morning and we spent time putting the spark plugs in, tying up loose ends. We spun the engine with the starter to pre-oil the engine. We pulled the plane out to start it up and found a fuel leak right where the fuel line comes through the firewall. After making one hose up we turned the bulkhead fitting around. I guess the fitting is just a little out of shape and the softer aluminum tubing formed to it better than the hose end. We took the plane out again and then I ran the battery down. Marshall brought his truck over and we hooked up the jumber cables and managed to get the thing to start. It ran great once we burned the gook out of it. The idle is a little high and it seems the front spinner bulkhead is wobbling a little bit. Other than that it ran real smooth. The runup went okay, the prop cycled fine but the mag was a little rough but I suspect the plugs are pretty well fouled from the preservative oil. The electronic ignition is smooth as it can be. After shutdown we rolled it back into the hangar and looked it over and I couldn't find any leaks or stuff coming loose. It might actually fly some day.

Here you can see Jeff fiddling with where the fuel leaked. Can you think of a worse place for a fuel leak? See the fuel stain on the right pipe.

I took the protective plastic off of the windscreen. This is the first time I've seen the actual plexi for the canopy / windsxreen. It looks pretty good.

Tying the tail to Jeff's truck. I'm pretty sure the brakes will hold but let's try and keep the test variables to a minimum.

Who's the dope with the checklist?

After running the battery down while fixing fuel leaks and failed starts, Marshall pulled up his "Explosion" to give me a boost. It looks close but believe me there is plenty of room between his truck and the prop.

These pictures must not be in order. That is Jon's truck that we are tied to here. This is the second time out after fixing the fuel leak. Baby it is hot outside.

There's that blurry prop that we are all waiting for.

It looks like it really wants to go flying doesn't it.

August 6, 2005 - 5 hours
Jeff came by the hangar today and helped me calibrate the fuel tanks. We filled each tank up measuring the fuel as we put it in and calibrated the pre-flight stick. Then we lifted the tail into flying position and took the fuel out and calibrated the gauge on the way down. Then we managed to get the preservative oil out and the mineral oil in. Jeff put the air fliter on permanent. This is all in preparation for running the engine tomorrow.

Got the tail jacked up with a shop crane so that we can get the fuel gauge calibrated with the plane in the flying attitude.

I took this picture because it's easier than writing down what kind of oil I used.

August 4, 2005 - 2 hours
Re-safetied a couple of things that I decided weren't safety wired correctly. I also fixed the fuel gauge. Apparently the polarity of the little converters for my E.I. FL-2CA dual fuel level gauge matters. The black wire is the ground and the white wire is the plates. I also riveted on the center section side covers.

This safety wire looks much better.

These side covers are painted one of the colors that the wife picked for the trim. It looks better than the photo shows.

August 2, 2005 - 1.5 hours
Finished up on the ailerons. Torqued all the rod end bearings for all the aileron controls and the sticks.

August 1, 2005 - 1.8 hours
Jeff loaned me his torque wrench and crows foot wrench that will fit the prop so I managed to get those torqued and safetied. I bought a better angle finder today so I spent some more time making sure that the ailerons are rigged correctly before I rivet those stops on permanent.

This is the safety wire for the prop. It's not pretty but it's hard to get in there. That's a piece of brake line tubing over the wire to hopefully, keep it from chafing.

July 31, 2005 - 6 hours
Started rigging the ailerons and installing all the control stick stuff. I discovered a little interference with the bellcrank and the short aileron push tube. I rechecked everything, from finding the neutral position with the aileron jig. I decided that the way to fix it was with the "optional" aileron stops. This pretty much took the rest of the day. Oh and I put a little adel clamp on the ELT antenna so that it wouldn't be flopping around back there tearing up something important.

Since I had to take the wingtip off again to check the neutral position of the aileron I put this split corrugated tubing around the wires that I can't really secure.

The sticks are in.

This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 February 3, 2021