February 3, 2021
Today I trimmed and epoxied the new inlet duct parts that I made to the top cowling. I am going to need to do a lot of filling and sanding to get them perfect but for now at least I have enough of it done so that I can finish the baffles.
I spent some time fiddling with some firewall forward stuff. I am not happy with where I mounted the capacitor for the SD-8 alternator because the wiring get's in the way of removing the battery. I'll either move the capacitor or change the wiring somehow. I also moved the ground strap to the engine since it also made it impossible to remove the battery. I made a bracket for the purge valve control line that attaches to one of the engine case bolts.
Trimmed the front of the baffles to fit the new inlet ducts that I glassed into the top cowling. I also riveted on most of those little mounting hole doublers and some of the reinforcement angles for the baffles.
After getting the cowling back on after the whole adding inlet duct seals thing I decided that most of the baffles needed a little more trimming. I also cut the hole for the oil cooler and drilled the oil cooler doubler plate to the back baffle. I made some reinforcements for the oil cooler to (hopefull) keep it from cracking the back baffles.
Don came over tonight and made me a beautiful prop governor oil line. The engine came with a hose that was WAY too long (It looks like was probably for an O-540), and I never liked the hose idea anyway. So since Don is one of the best instrument hands on the planet I traded him some BBQ for his skills. I am very happy with it. It's made out of 316SS 3/8x0.035 seamless tubing.
Drilled the flange for the cabin heat to the baffle and riveted it on with the stainless screen.
Started fitting the rubber baffle seal material to the baffles. I also made the hose for the return fuel line and drilled the hole in the baffle for it to pass through.
Put on some more baffle seal material.
Riveted the baffle seal material on the front left baffle.
Riveted the rear left baffle sections together and started cutting the baffle seal material.
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.