Project Log - October, 2001 

 Project News
 February 3, 2021

 Project Log

  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Fuel Tanks

 Fuselage Kit
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage


 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System

  Finishing Up!

 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Other Stuff

October, 2001

October 4, 2001 - 1.5 hours
Primed the wing skins and countersunk most of the little holes in the wing spar.

October 6, 2001 - 4 hours
Finished countersinking the spar. Riveted the leading edge skin to the ribs and started installing the Duckworks landing light in the leading edge.

Taped the template on the leading edge to mark the hole cuttout for the Duckworks landing light.

Finished landing light cuttout.

October 7, 2001 - 2 hours
Got the mounting plate built and trimmed the plexi for the Duckworks light in the left wing.

Finished lense mounting plate.

October 9, 2001 - 2.5 hours
Finished the landing light installation in the left leading edge.

Finished Duckworks landing light installation.

Leading edge of the left wing finished and ready to go on the spar.

October 11, 2001 - 1.5 hours
Tapped the tie down bracket and drilled the little hole in the skin for the tie down. Started riveting the leading edge assembly to the spar.

October 13, 2001 - 3 hours
Finished riveting the leading edge assembly to the left wing.

Finished leading edge assembly installed on the left wing.

October 13, 2001 - 1 hours
Pressure tested the fuel tank and fixed the big 'ol leak that I found.

Pressure testing the tank. The top tube goes over the the homemade manometer and the bottom is the tube I used to 'pressurize' the tank.

Here is a picture of my homemade manometer. It is really high tech. Here is a note on how I built it.

October 16, 2001 - 1 hours
Finished leak testing the fuel tank. Decided that the leak was where my test fitting connected to the tank. Couldn't make a single 'Snoop' bubble anywhere else. Installed the tank on the wing.

October 17, 2001 - 1 hours
Started riveting on the top wing skins

October 18, 2001 - 1.5 hours
Still riveting top skins on

October 19, 2001 - 1.3 hours
Finished riveting the top skins and took the left wing out of the jig and into the craddle.

Left wing out of the jig and in the craddle.

This is what the top of the wing looks like. The wing craddle was built by my wife, Shannon. Looks pretty good and it fits like a glove. Build it per the plans from Van and it works great.

October 20, 2001 - 4 hours
Installed the aileron bellcrank in the left wing. Cleaned up the shop and started preparing the ribs for the right wing for priming.

Close up of the aileron bellcrank

October 26, 2001 - 2.5 hours
Primed all the right wing ribs.

October 26, 2001 - 3 hours
Assembled the right wing skeleton and hung it on the jig.

October 28, 2001 - 6 hours
Clecoed and drilled all of the main wing skins top and bottom as well as the leading edge skin. Time to start on the other tank. :-(

October 29, 2001 - 2 hours
Fabricated the right tank attach brackets and drilled them to match the main spar.

October 30, 2001 - 2.5 hours
Finished the right tank attach brackets and bolted them to the spar. Cut out and deburred the tank stiffeners.

October 31, 2001 - 1.5 hours
Drilled the stiffeners to the right fuel tank skin and started getting the baffle lined up on the tank attach brackets.

<<September, 2001  Top  November, 2001>>

This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 February 3, 2021