February 3, 2021
Finished the rear canopy anchors, and trimmed the canopy latch a little more. I think I'll save the last bit of trimming on the latch until it's all together. It still seems to have a little bit of give in it.
Layed out and drilled the holes in the canopy side skirts.
I finished installing the little eyeball cable penetrations on the firewall for the throttle, mixtrure and prop control cables. I still need to put in two more. These were a little more trouble than I thought they would be but they look cool when finished.
I drilled the side skirts to the canopy frame and then started drilling the C-759 inside canopy skirt and I mananged to mess it up. I am not sure that following Van's instructions is the best way to install this part or not. They call for drilling the side skirt to the frame first and then putting the inside skirt between the two and drilling it. Well mine wound up working it's way down while I was drilling the holes and by the time I got to the aft end of the frame it was so far down that it interfered with the frame. I'll order another on Monday.
I clamped the C-759 on the other side of the plane hoping that I would not mess it up like I did the right side on yesterday. Nope, I messed it up too. I guess I'll have to figure out another way to do this. ARGGGHHHH, If I'm not an alchoholic by the time I finish this canopy it will be only by the grace of God. I went ahead and made up the side skirt braces and that is about all I can do on the canopy until I get the parts. Since I'm waiting for canopy parts I made the little plate for the throttle/prop/mixture controls to mount to the panel and measured lentghs for throttle and mixture so that I can get those on order.
Removed the tailwheel spring from the fuselage, prepared and primed all the parts for the tailwheel assembly.
Painted the tailwheel and piddled around measuring some more firewall forward stuff.
Assembled the tailwheel and installed it on the airplane. I also replaced the nylok nuts on the main gear attach points with all metal lock nuts.
I managed to get most of the side skirt parts drilled and fitted. There are a lot of holes in those things. I trimmed the relief in the front of the side skirts where it clears the curve in the fuselage as it slides back and I took the hole thing apart and started preparing all the parts for paint.
Prepared, primed and painted all the canopy frame parts. Finished mounting the cabin heat box. I also test fit the exhaust just to see how things were fitting up front.
Re-mounted the newly painted canopy frame. Riveted the side skirt braces to the frame clecoed the bubble back on. I also sized and cut the strip of aluminum that goes accross the back of the canopy and clecoed it on.
Installed the flap position switch for the PSS Angle of Attack indicator.
Removed the roll bar and the roll bar brace and repainted them. They had gotten beat up a little bit during the construction phase. I also ran the wires from the strobe power supply. This was one of the items on my to do when there's nothing else to do list and since I was waiting for help on the canopy I decided to do the strobe wires.
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.